If you have some knowledge about CBD, then you already may know that you can’t actually overdose on CBD. But, taking a specific amount of CBD dosage can improve particular conditions most efficiently. This proper dosage also saves your time and hard-earned money.
Today I’ll discuss recommended CBD dosage for most common health issues that can be treated with CBD medications.
But, before diving into the guideline, let’s revise the basics in brief.
CBD: The Basics
The term ‘CBD’ stands for Cannabidiol, which is extracted from the cannabis plants. Previously it was believed that everything related to cannabis is harmful to us. But, due to recent scientific researches and studies, people’s view on this is changing rapidly. Even most of the states of the USA have lifted the previously imposed ban on CBD products due to their medicinal effectiveness.
More than 60 active compounds can be extracted from the cannabis plant, and CBD is one of them that has gained much popularity in its medicinal effectiveness.
Below are some of the health benefits that CBD products can offer, according to scientific research:
- Alleviate anxiety and improve mood. 1
- Soothe various types of pain (pain from injuries, arthritis, cancer treatment, etc.) 2
- Improve the quality of sleep. 3
- Treat inflammation.
- Soothe IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Alleviate migraine pain.
- Treat acne.
- Help to control high blood pressure, etc.
Remember, these are some health issues where researchers found CBD to be effective. More & more studies are being conducted on the effectiveness of CBD products, and we are hopeful that CBD can offer many more benefits to a variety of health issues.
So, without further ado, let’s straight jump into the discussion.
The Truth about CBD Dosage and Frequency
Though the benefits of CBD are well known in the medical arena for quite a few years, most of the doctors hesitate to prescribe CBD for medicinal purposes for a variety of reasons. Some key reasons behind this are:
- Still, there is no universal RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) that has been established for CBD dosage.
- Most medical schools still don’t teach CBD or BSH therapy in their pharmacology courses.
Apart from these two main issues, several other factors influence CBD dosage and frequency, such as,
- Individual health condition,
- Product quality,
- Consumption methods, and so on.
How Much CBD Dosage You should Take and In What Frequency?
So, as you see, various factors can impact the amount of dosage. Be sure to consult with your doctor to determine the perfect amount of dosage for you based on the evaluation of your health. This is particularly important if your doctor prescribes you medicines that contain CBD, like Epidiolex.
But what if your doctor doesn’t provide you any specific recommendations? Then, experts recommend starting slowly and continue to increase the dosage amount weekly. Here is some dosage guideline for particular health issues from Mayo Clinic:
- For Increasing Appetite among Cancer Patients: THC- 2.5mg (containing 1mg CBD). Should be taken orally. Duration: Six weeks.
- For Alleviating Chronic Pain: CBD- 2.5mg to 20mg. Should be taken orally.
- For Treating Epilepsy: CBD- 200mg to 300mg. Should be taken orally. Frequency: Daily.
- Treating Huntington’s disease: CBD- 10mg/kg of bodyweight. Should be taken orally. Frequency: Daily. Duration: Six months.
- Improving Quality of Sleep: CBD- 40mg to 160mg. Should be taken orally. Frequency: Daily.
- Treating Multiple Sclerosis (MS) symptoms: THC/CBD combination: 2.5mg to 120mg. Should be taken in forms of spray. Frequency: 8 sprays in 3 hours. Maximum 48 sprays in 24 hours. Duration: 2-15 weeks.
- Treating Schizophrenia: CBD- 40mg to 1280mg. Should be taken orally. Frequency: daily.
- Treating Glaucoma: CBD- 20mg to 40mg, single sublingual dosage (consult with a doctor before taking more than 40mg as it can escalate eye pressure)
Now, by this time, you might be wondering, what’s the maximum amount of CBD you can take per day.
According to research, an adult can take anywhere between 20mg to 1500mg of CBD dosage per day.4 The study also concluded that taking CBD for medicinal purposes is a relatively safe practice.
The best practice would be starting from a low amount of dosage and gradually increase it by 5mg weekly.
For instance, if you start taking CBD medication for pain relief, then you should start from 2.5mg per day. Then after a week, you should consider taking 7.5mg and track your progress. It would be best if you consider taking daily notes on how you feel. It would help you decide the optimal amount of dosage required for you.
So, How Do You Calculate the CBD Dosage and Frequency?
Calculating the dosage amount is relatively easy. You should take a look at the packaging of the product. In the case of CBD, gummies, pills, and capsules usually contains 5mg per piece.
In the cases of CBD oil, they usually contain droppers. In the packaging of the oils, manufacturers clearly state the amount carried by each drop. If it says each drop carries 5mg, then you should take 4 drops of oil for 20mg of CBD oil.
Wondering where to get the best CBD products? Check it here.
So that’s all for today. Don’t forget to share your experience with CBD products in the comment section. If you have any queries regarding CBD medications, please feel free to share them in the comment section. I’d absolutely love to help you.